Wednesday, April 27, 2011
Coconut Curry Shrimp Soup
Do you ever start cooking a meal with the intent to make one thing but the end result is something entirely different? This happens to me more often then I would like to admit, and this soup is the result of such an event. You see, it was inspired by a shrimp dish I had at a local restaurant but when I started cooking one thing led to another and I ended up with this flavorful coconut curry shrimp soup. This has become one of my favorite soups to prepare when I’m in a jam and need dinner quickly! It is quite easy, tasty, and especially perfect for a cold or rainy night. What I love about this recipe is that it doesn’t require exact amounts of anything. It’s a little bit of this… a little bit of that. Before you know it, you have an awesome soup your friends and family will love! Enjoy!
• 1+ lb Shrimp- raw, tails removed and de-veined
• 2-3 colored bell peppers
• 1 medium sweet onion
• 4 cups (1 bag) spinach leaves
• 1 tbsp coconut oil
• 8oz. coconut milk**
• 1 tbsp curry powder
• 1 tbsp lime juice
• Spices: 1tsp-1tbsp depending on taste
- Garlic (if using fresh sauté with onions and peppers)
- Ginger (if using fresh sauté with onions and peppers)
• Sea salt and black pepper to taste
1. In a large skillet, heat the coconut oil over medium heat.
2. Add the onions and bell peppers and cook until soft
3. Add the coconut milk, lime juice, and spices
4. Let simmer 5-10 minutes
5. Add the shrimp and the spinach and cook for 3 minutes
6. Mix and serve
** Yeilds 2 dinner portions, 4 appetizer portions. Increase milk for larger serving sizes.